Wedding vows are holy, but wedding rings are more sacred beyond the understanding of an unmarried individual. It acts like a handcuff without the links. It is a reminder for the husband and the wife of life long promises and unbreakable oaths on their wedding day.
Now, even if you know how to keep a promise or two and avoid earthly temptations, you may not know how to wear a wedding ring set. Is there really a “right’ or a “wrong” way of wearing one?
Tips for Wearing Wedding Rings
Wearing wedding rings look simple and straightforward enough, but it is actually even more complicated than that. Thankfully, we compiled some tips on how to wear a wedding ring set.
- Always remember to clean your ring regularly with care.
As time passes by, your ring will surely accumulate dirt and oil, making it dirty, but cleaning it doesn’t even take you an hour. What you need to do is out your ring into a container or a cup of warm water and mixed it with a few drops of soap and leave it for a few minutes, then gently scrub your ring with a soft towel. You can do this process once a month. Easy, right?
- Always keep ring dishes in your home.
Keys, wallets, and TV remote controls are just some things that magically vanishes when you need them the most, but wedding rings can be as magical as these items if not taken good care of. That’s where ring dishes come into rescue. Keep ring dishes throughout your house so that you know where to look when you do need to take it off.
- You need regular checkups for your beloved ring.
At least once a year, take your engagement ring to a professional jeweler for inspection. They’ll check for loose settings, worn prongs, or other potential problems.
- Store those rings gently.
When you’re not wearing your rings, you can put them in a separate soft container to not accidentally scratch it with your other jewelry.
The Right Way of Wearing Wedding Rings
Now we get to this article’s main point, is there really a right or wrong way of wearing wedding rings? The answer is NO; there aren’t wrong ways of wearing a wedding wrong because we have our own cultural traditions of wearing one.
The only proper way of wearing a wedding ring is determined by the cultural traditions you are accustomed to. Wearing the ring on the left hand is customary in Western countries, but this isn’t the case with most couples from the North and East of Europe. They usually wear their wedding bands on their right.
- The ring finger rule.
There’s a long-held tradition of wearing wedding rings on the ring finger beside your pinkie. This custom came from an old belief in Ancient Rome that a vein from this finger connects directly to the heart. This is what the Romans consider as the vein of love; hence, wedding bands are worn around it to objectify love and commitment.
Here is how you can do it:
- Your wedding band can be worn solitary on your left-hand ring finger. Do not put any other wearables together with your wedding band. Some cultures believe that putting any wearable item together with your wedding band can bring bad luck.
- Avoid wearing your wedding ring and engagement ring on the same hand.
Place your wedding band on your right and the engagement ring on the left, or the other way around. This may be unconventional, but it’s practical. Let’s figure out.
- Arranging your love rings this way is more convenient for people with shorter fingers or those who aren’t comfortable doubling rings on a finger.
- When the engagement ring does not match the wedding ring, joining them on one finger looks awful. It’s best to wear them on opposite hands.
- Wear it where you want.
You’re married now and is well-suited to decide about grown-up stuff. It’s your ring, your jewel, your little gem of true love. You can oblige conventions on how to wear a wedding ring set or wear it however you want.
- Traditionally, engagement bands are put on the left ring finger. Most people follow this kind of tradition. But no one says you can’t wear it in some other ways.
- Although there’s a conventional way of putting on a ring, this is a new age, and you can now make your own way of doing things like putting your ring in the place you know it will beautifully fit.
Creative Ways of Wearing Your Wedding Ring Set
If you’re not fond of following conventions when it comes to how to wear a wedding ring set, you can go creative.
- You can wear them as a necklace.
If you want to go full creative, then feel free to make your wedding ring set as a necklace. You can always slip your rings on a favorite chain and secure them around your neck.
- You can wear your wedding ring set as a bracelet.
If you’re not a fan of necklaces, then maybe you’re on bracelets. Bracelets never get out of style, and it is a piece of popular jewelry, so why not try slipping your wedding ring to a bracelet instead of the traditional way. Moreover, wearing the rings as a bracelet allows more dexterity with your hand movement and leaves you worry-free about your ring getting caught and your finger getting injured.
Wearing your wedding ring is a sign of cherishing your life bonds with your partner, but keeping your promises to your husband or wife, ring off, or ring on is the real test of true love. You can only experience true love in a lifetime; you don’t want to mess that solid marriage union by not taking care or not knowing how to wear a wedding ring set. Here’s how to learn more about wedding rings.