Wedding gowns come in fabric that can easily wrinkle. When you want to look your best on your wedding day, it pays to know how to steam a wedding dress. Although it may worry you to steam your dress, we’re here to give you the best care tips for your wedding gown.
Care Tips For Steaming Your Wedding Dress
Any decision made regarding your wedding dress has to be done with care and caution. If you want to know how to steam a wedding dress, here are some of the practical tips you need:
1. Check with your tailor or designer: Does your gown need a steamer?
Some fabric does not need steaming. There are types of cloth that wrinkle even more after steaming. Deliberate this decision carefully with your tailors so they can tell you the best thing to do.
NOTE: Some types of fabric work best with a dry iron, so if you’re learning how to iron a wedding dress at home before the big day, check with your tailor first.
2. If you’re doing a destination wedding, we recommend you bring a travel steamer.
Although most hotels offer steaming packages for gowns, you should bring one just in case. The best steamer for wedding dress must not be bulky and must have a comfortable grip so you won’t have a hard time steaming the fabric.
3. Maintain your gown’s shape through tips from your tailor.
Check with your tailor on the specific instructions in handling the gown. The way a gown hangs for steaming is also crucial. If you don’t have your tailor present on the wedding day, you might want to sit down with him first and take notes.
Step-by-Step Guide In Steaming A Wedding Dress
If your wedding gown gets too wrinkled and needs steaming, these are the steps on how to steam a wedding dress:
- Step 1 – We recommend that you put a white washcloth over the steam head to avoid water spots on your gown from a leaking steamer.
- Step 2 – Start from the gown’s front and work your way from top to bottom from the inside of the gown. This way, the gown underneath allows any excess steam to be trapped in the gown’s layers releasing wrinkles while it dries.
- Step 3 – Turn the gown around and start steaming the back. The order of steaming from front to back will keep your gown’s train from being crumpled while it dries.Step 4 – Hang your wedding gown as high as possible to release any other wrinkles left in the gown.
- Step 4 – Hang your wedding gown as high as possible to release any other wrinkles left in the gown.
- Step 5 – Wear your wedding gown and be ready to walk down the aisle, beautiful bride!
The bride and her gown share a sacred bond. After all, a lot of effort is poured into a wedding gown, which deserves a lot of care which is why it’s helpful to know how to steam a wedding dress. The moment you walk down the aisle, a beautiful, blushing bride in her gorgeous wedding dress, you’ll know why caring for your dress is worth it. Know more about wedding dresses.