How To Sew A Flower Girl Dress By Yourself
For every wedding ceremony, flower girls are one of the most adorable people that we see. As they walk and drop those colorful petals, we cannot help but notice the cute dress that makes every one of them uniquely beautiful. What if you want to create their dress from scratch for your big day? In this article, we will teach you how to sew a flower girl dress. If you’re interested to know how, read on.
How the Flower Girl Trend Started
Before we teach you how to sew a flower girl dress, let us first talk about the flower girls. Sure they aren't wedding crashers. But aren't you curious to know how this flower girl trend started? The tradition of these dolled up cuties that throw petals in the aisle started in Ancient Rome. And you might be surprised but what they were carrying before weren't flowers but herbs and wheat! Are they making pizza after? No. Because they believe that doing this will bring prosperity to the bride and groom.
Before, only the upper-class Romans and Greeks include flower girls at their wedding. They serve as a symbol of and innocence. Aside from that, the use of flower girls in the wedding symbolizes the bride's transition from childhood to adulthood. Many of us didn't know this because we thought they are just fun to have at weddings. But know you know why they are included in every wedding. We know how excited you are to know how to sew their dress. So, if you want to know how, keep reading below!
Prepare the Materials
The first thing you should do on how to sew a flower girl dress is to complete all the materials needed. And for that, here are the materials that you should prepare.
What You Need
- Thread (It should match the color of your fabric.)
- Seam ripper
- Rotary blade
- Wrapping paper
- Decorative materials like sequins, ribbons, or anything you want to put
Now that you have the materials, you are ready to sew the flower girl dress! Just follow the instructions below carefully, and you are ready to make a DIY flower girl dress.
- With your child’s existing tank top, make a bodice pattern.
- Start by putting the tank top above the tracing paper
- Trace the edges of the from front to back
- Make sure that you also trace the neckline
- Do not forget to estimate the allowance for sewing
- Using your scissor, cut the pattern
- Using the pattern that you just made, cut the lace and lining
- Next, top the lace and lining bodice
- Press the bodice and pin the neckline and the armholes
- Ready your needle and thread
- Start sewing the sides and the shoulder except for the neckline and armholes
- Next, take your child's skirt length by measuring the bodice's bottom up to the top of her knees. You may add an allowance for the seam
- Using the measurement, cut the fabric for the skirt
- With the same skirt pattern, cut the lace
- Sew the sides of the fabric for the skirt and do the same with the lace
- Make sure that the lace is inside by turning the skirt inside out.
- Pin the sides of the skirt
- Start sewing
- Next, connect the bodice to the skirt by sewing the edges together.
Congratulations! You just made a DIY flower girl dress! This time, you can add your personal touch by putting some designs like a ribbon, some sparkling Swarovski, or anything that you like. To make sure it fits right, let your little girl try it and see how she likes her dress. Imagine, with just simple steps, and you learned how to sew a flower girl dress. You can try a different design next time.
Flower girls in every wedding are worth watching because of their cuteness. That is why every mom spends plenty of amount of cash on their child's clothes. If you happened to have your wedding soon, you sure want your flower girls to look cute and adorable. So, having their dress customized will make your wedding look fancy and memorable.
Seeking help from a skilled tailor will cost you an impressive amount. From the fabric to other accessories, it will surely require much attention and money. But now that you already know how to sew a flower girl dress, you can add your personal touch. All you need to do is finalize your design and follow every step diligently to start working with your masterpiece. Know more about wedding guides.
May 4, 2021
By: Russel Peters
The idea of having a few kids at your wedding is a bit problematic. It’s just hard to resist the presence of these adorable little ones in your entourage.
May 4, 2021
By: Russel Peters
Weddings are a great display of love. It’s not just about the romantic sweetness between the bride and groom but also the different forms of affection among friends and family.
May 4, 2021
By: Lola Stevens
Everyone wants their wedding to be special. With that said, couples tend to spend a lot of time and effort when it comes to getting things perfect and without any possible mishaps.