Tulle is a lightweight material that is typically made from rayon, nylon, or silk. It is an excellent option for your wedding dress fabric because it looks delicate and exquisite. For brides who have always dreamed of walking down the aisle dressed like a princess in a flowy ball gown, tulle is the number one choice.
If you’re sewing your wedding dress yourself, here’s everything that you need to know about how to make a long tulle skirt for a wedding dress.
Skirts with Trains
Before you learn how to make a long tulle skirt for wedding dress, you should first decide whether your dress will have a train. A train is, essentially, is the extended, trailing portion of a skirt or dress. A lot of brides choose to have a train because it adds some extra magic while they’re walking down the aisle.
Here are some of the standard types of wedding trains:
- Demi-train – A demi or semi-train is one that is formed when the front of the skirt is slightly shorter than the back. It creates a simple but elegant look that is effortless.
- Fishtail train – A fishtail train features a tightly fitted skirt that flares out midway down. It creates the illusion of an hourglass figure, making the bride look very feminine.
- Cathedral or monarch train – A cathedral train is the longest and most formal option for brides. It’s about 8-10 feet long, creating a dramatic effect for brides who want to look stately and impressive.
- Chapel train – A chapel train is around 5 feet in length and is the standard choice for most brides. It adds drama without being too over-the-top, making it the perfect choice for ceremonies with a simpler theme.
How to Make a Long Tulle Skirt
A tulle skirt is lightweight and comfortable. It’s the perfect material for a wedding dress because they make it easy to create frothy layers without weighing the bride down. These layers also create an ethereal and dreamy look that many brides wish to achieve.
Check out the steps below for how to make a long tulle skirt for wedding dress:
- Prepare the material. You can find plenty of stores that sell tulle fabric. While you can always try ordering online, it’s a good idea to do a feel-test first before you buy. After all, you want to be sure that you’re purchasing a high-quality material that feels comfortable when worn.
- Take your measurements and create a pattern. Make sure that your pattern has added 3-4 inches on top of your measurements to allow for closures.
- Trace the pattern on the fabric and cut them out. If you’re planning to add a zipper, make a mark on the material and keep the marks aligned.
- Sew the seams and stitch from the front to the back. Machine baste over the zipper marks and then stitch the zipper permanently. Then fold the waistband, stitch in place, and sew on your chosen closure.
Knowing how to make a long tulle skirt for wedding dress will save you money that you can allot to other major expenses for your wedding or your family’s future. Know more about wedding dresses.