A lot of men find it hard to select the best clothes for occasions, much more when it’s for a wedding. While some men have it with clothes, some struggle. The overabundance of men’s clothes doesn’t help, as the choices can only make the feat more daunting. To find the right style when attending a wedding, one needs to know the basics of how to dress for a wedding male. The most important is not to overdress or outdo the groom in trying to look cool and stylish. Doing so will avoid creating a wrong impression among the other guests. To know more about dressing up for a wedding, read on.
The Rules for Dressing in a Wedding
In attending a wedding, it is imperative to know some wedding-day dressing rules for male guests not only to avoid overdressing or underdressing but to respect some of the religious affiliations.
- You should avoid wearing white to a wedding unless there is an all-white dress code.
- It would be best if you observe dressing rules for certain religious groups. There might be a church that is strict in wearing proper attire.
- You should never wear an all-black dress for a wedding. Having a piece of black is suitable for an evening affair.
Dress Code Depends on the Occasions
The dress code will depend on the occasions. The factor in deciding what to wear depends on the wedding theme or the season the event falls, such as if it’s winter, summer, and others. Men need to wear the proper dress code as expected on that particular occasion, lest the event would turn to be your most embarrassing if you wear something off or inappropriate for the event. Here are popular wedding themes and tips on how to dress for a wedding male.
Men’s Wedding Attire by Season
It can get challenging dressing for a wedding through different seasons. But, we’re making it easy for you. Here are tips on how to dress for a wedding male through seasons.
- Winter Wedding. It is a chilly evening during the winter season. You better wear clothes made of thick fabrics such as velvet, corduroy, and wool to keep you warm during the event. You can also select dark-colored heavy fabrics mixed up with sweaters to be stylish. Another option is to wear an all-out burgundy velvet blazer or just a plain wool suit don with a wintery pattern but remember not to overdress and don’t end up looking like a member of the bridal party.
- Fall Wedding. The fall season is very unpredictable. You should wait and finalize your accessories untilthe date is closer to the wedding event. Else you will just be throwing your money or wearing overdress or underdress at the wedding. In this case, men should have layering attire to be comfortable not only to look awesome but also to be on the go when the temperature fluctuates. On this occasion, men could wear navy colored tuxedo layered with a vest. It could be a charcoal colored wool coat with a pop of bright-colored tie paired with a brown belt and shoes. Since the weather in this season is highly unpredictable, men should have to know how to dress for a wedding male.
- Spring Wedding. A spring wedding can be a challenge because the weather is a lot like a fall. There can also be an impromptu rain shower, which is much unexpected during this season. For men, they can layer brightly colored shirts under a lightweight suit. Add to your outfit, accessories such as a cotton floral necktie paired with banana leaf pocket square and brown belt and shoes for a spring-perfect look. Some men could also wear navy corduroy with corduroy blazer during the early spring chills. And just like the fall, when the weather can go erratic, men should be ready for what might come.
- Summer Wedding. During summer weddings, men usually wear elegant but cool, breathable attire to combat the heat and humidity. Men may also opt to wear a light-colored suit or white dinner jacket added with chambray or seersucker blazer. You can forgo socks and wear loafers instead. However, men should always pay attention to the wordings of the invitation before making any wardrobe decisions. Always respect dress codes.
Men’s Wedding Attire by Location
It’s not just the season that you should consider. Oftentimes, the wedding location can give you a hint on how to dress for the occasion.
- Beach Wedding. When shopping for something to wear in a beach wedding, men should consider the elements on the beach. Not only that, but the time, weather, and of course, the wedding theme should also be noted. The most-suggested clothes for men during a beach wedding are a tanned suit, which is classic and stylish, and a blue guest blazer that is perfect for any season. A tan classic fit seersucker is also appropriate for a beach wedding. Most importantly, choose clothing that doesn’t get you too sweaty.
- Mountain Top Wedding. A wedding in the mountain is romantic. And being on the top, you can anticipate the temperature be colder than usual. Whether the dress code is formal or casual, men should layer their clothes with dark-colored accessories to add extra warmth to the body. Also, do not forget to put a tie to add texture to your look.
- Garden Wedding. Men can wear suits in lighter colors and pair them with a floral tie. But men must be cautious as dressing up for a garden wedding borders that of a beach wedding, and it’s easy to go off with the items you wear. Your skills in dressing come handy this time.
Men’s Wedding Attire by Theme
As if it isn’t confusing yet, we add up to this list how to dress during a themed wedding. But worry not, as we’ll be making it easy for you.
- Rustic Wedding. In this kind of wedding, men should consider that the theme may include elements of wood. With this, men should wear a varied texture of ties and accessories. The layered dress is also recommended in this type of wedding. The suggested suit color is dark, paired with a tie made up of wool or plaid linen. You can add cufflinks, but it is optional.
- Vintage Wedding. In this theme, men should wear unique and oldie accessories because it is a classic, elegant, and timeless wedding. Men could select a variety of traditional colors and patterns of dresses that suit their looks as this theme never goes out of style. Here’s how to learn more about wedding fashion.
Shopping for wedding clothes is not a forte for a lot of men. And so a good number of them end up just wearing the next casual clothes they have. But dressing in style for men during a wedding isn’t an impossible feat, as all you need to know are tips on how to dress for a wedding male. Always remember dressing rules when going to weddings. You can go cool, stylish, fancy, or vintage as long as you do not overdress. And though you’ve been through a lot of weddings in the past, always check the invitation. It may have indicated a theme to the ceremony you are attending, which is the key to dressing correctly for the occasion.