How Long Is A Wedding Reception: Reception Planning Tips
A wedding reception is the most exciting and most awaited part of a wedding. Perhaps you’re wondering how long is a wedding reception. This article will provide you with the answers that you’re looking for to make your wedding reception a day to remember.
How Long Does it Lasts
The planning part for your wedding is the most stressful phase. Time is an essential factor for how much you will spend on your wedding. You may already be done planning all the before-and-during stuff. But what about after the main ceremony? How long should a wedding reception be? Here, we provide you with answers to how long does a wedding reception last.
The whole wedding can take up to 5-6 hours. That already includes the introduction, speeches, fun dancing time, dinner, etc. That is the traditional wedding style. However, if that doesn’t fit your preference, you can always modify it according to what you and your partner would like.
The next part will give you an overview of a wedding reception timeline as well as how long is a wedding reception.
If the actual ceremony is the most special part of your wedding, then the reception is the most fun phase. It’s a celebration of a lifetime! Knowing its timeline can give you a better idea of how long is a wedding reception.
- Cocktail hour – This can typically last for an hour and a half. This is the part of the wedding where the guests greet the bride and the groom right after the sweet ceremony. This is also the time where guests mingle with one another. This is where the party spirit starts to kick off.
- The entrance of the bride, groom, and their families – This can consume 5 to 10 minutes. The host will introduce you and your significant other as newlyweds for the first time to your friends and families. This will be an emotional part as you walk along the aisle to your seats.
- First dance – This typically lasts for 5-10 minutes. After the grand entrance and introduction, the bride and groom will now have their first dance as a married couple.
- Speeches – This can consume 5-10 minutes of the wedding reception. In this part, both the bride and the groom will take the time to thank their guests and families for being a part of their wedding. The newlyweds’ parents can also deliver their speeches, signifying the blessings they give to their children.
- Dinner – The dinner can last for up to an hour. Be sure to enjoy the wedding meal! This is also the time where the bride and groom mingle with their guests and talk to them per table.
- Fun time – This can last for an hour or more. This part is also where your guests and family members can dance the night away. Get ready to dance to both slow and high-energy songs!
- Cake cutting – This signals that the reception is almost over. This can last for a good 30 minutes. Guests can also have their dessert during this part of the program.
- Continue-the-fun time – This can take about 30-40 mins. After having your sweet dessert, keep your energy going to cherish the rest of the night with your guests and loved ones. Dance and sing the night away!
How long is a wedding reception? Based on the activities mentioned above, it can typically last for up to four hours. Find out more about wedding receptions.
A wedding reception is like a cherry on top of the cupcake. It’s a celebration of love between the newlyweds as well as their families and friends. No matter how long is a wedding reception, take that time to enjoy and cherish every moment of it because it can only happen once in a lifetime.
April 5, 2021
By: Anne Clayton
For a married couple, weddings could be quite exhausting even though it is the most awaited day of their lives as they begin a new chapter together.
July 14, 2020
By: Stephanie Sullivan
Nothing can excite an after-wedding party more than a full and energetic presence of a live band. But that also means additional expense.